Tuesday, January 17, 2006

OUCH!

I am in an extreme amount of pain right now.

I went to the doctor today for the the first time in years. The last time I went I had strep throat and thought I was dying. My fever was through the roof, my throat was pained, and something was wrong with my hands.

Now, four years later, I've got strep throat again. I woke up Sunday morning with an extremely pained throat. Ouch. Yesterday I had a small fever and hubby said he couldn't see any puss pockets on my throat. If he had seen them, I would have gone in immeadiately. Well, I went today and it cost a bundle. With a cash discount, they only charged me $113 for the appointment and strep test. OUCH. Then I had to go and pay about $30 for the two prescriptions.

Right now it's 7pm and I'm waiting for the doctor to call me back. I've taken every OTC painkiller available- and all at the same time. The pain-relieving gargle he gave me doesn't do anything. It can't even numb my tongue but for a few minutes. I'm in so much pain that I can't even swallow. Ice cream and Dr. Pepper are unswallowable too. When I swallow my own spit, it causes pain spasms to go through my body. At the office today I tried to tell them that I was in extreme pain. A lack of voice probably meant I failed to communicate just how bad it is. I'm sure they meant will when prescribing me a worthless gargle. Personally, I have never been in this much pain before.

I wonder if they're gonnna charge me for a phone call too?

updated

Well, the good doctor called back and agreed to call in a painkiller for one or two night's worth of pills. Hubby is the one who talked to him on the phone since I had no voice. He did tell hubby that painkiller abuse was a problem nowadays and that was his reason for prescribing only 6 pills. I took 3 of them last night and have 3 left for tomorrow. Hopefully after tonight, the antibiotics will have started working their magic and I'll feel better overall.

The hydrocordone worked okay for about 4 hours. I would sleep and be still. But then I would cough or swallow and suddenly be wide awake and in pain again. It was like there were a couple hot spots that the medicine just couldn't reach to kill the pain. For the most part, I did feel better.

No comments: