Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Word Up!

A funny little thing here for all my friends. Merriam-Webster Online has announced their #1 Word of the Year! The first time I saw the list was last year and I was struck by how much it reflected our lives in the past year. Take a look at this year's word list and I bet you'll think of a news event that corresponds each word. I'm sure I'd get an I-told-you-so glare from my previous English teachers if they had read my thoughts on these words. Ahh, the beauty to be found in the the language of our lives!

From Merriam Webster:

#10-inept
#9-levee
#8-conclave
#7-pandemic
#6-tsunami
#5-insipid
#4-filibuster
#3-contempt
#2-refugee
#1--------

What, did you really think I was going to tell you number one? You'll just have to click on the link and go look it up yourself!

No comments: