Friday, August 26, 2005

It's 5:30am. Do you know where your children are? Part 2

Today we're going to talk about other people's children.

I had the honor of driving to Walmart this morning at 5:30am. I was baking and was ONE banana short. How annoying. I was driving past the high school when I see an SUV backing out of the high school parking lot. In the headlight beams, I see two students. School doesn't start until 8:30.

Walmart is just around the block from the high school but it took me forever to get there because I got stuck behind a giant Yukon going only 15mph. I was sure this sleepyhead was going to Walmart too, when suddenly, the truck makes a turn into...into.... the swimming pool parking lot. Looking through the fence, I see the pool is filled with kids, some in grade school, all doing laps. If in the coming years you hear about students from Bryan, TX winning all sorts of medals at the Olympics, you'll know why. When they win, they'll be sure to thank God, who guarded those vehicles as sleepy parents drove in the wee hours of the morning.

I spent $15 at Walmart and came home with 3 bags of grocery. I picked up some donuts anyway. And most importantly, I remembered the bananas.

No comments: