Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Katrina-Related Murder Charges

I saw this coming and I'm glad yet sad at the same time. Nursing homes are required by state law to have effective evacuation plans in Texas. I'm sure that the same holds for Louisiana.

In the nursing home case, Louisiana Attorney General Charles Foti charged the husband-and-wife owners of St. Rita's with 34 counts of negligent homicide for not doing more to save their elderly patients.

"The pathetic thing in this case was that they were asked if they wanted to move them and they did not," Foti said. "They were warned repeatedly that this storm was coming. In effect, their inaction resulted in the deaths of these people."




I wonder if this is the case made famous by the man in charge of Jefferson Parish, who cried on national television.

You can read the full article by clicking on the title of this post. I wonder if I'll ever be able to write like this reporter. The author only had about 6 lines concerning the nursing home but added tons of other info about the disaster including the ports, the pumps, the mayor, and of course, Pres. Bush.

No comments: