Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Mr. Weatherman

Have you ever noticed that there is no person that we forgive more often than our weatherman? Right now, after promising me a hurricane, he tosses record heat on me but dangles a cold front for the rest of the week on the television for the rest of the week. I walk home everyday in the dripping heat dreaming about that beautiful 80 degrees high he has promised me.

Weatherman are too much like politicians. They promise all sorts of stuff they can't deliver and can never take any of the blame. But I love my weatherman! The face of every town, small or large, is the friendly weatherman, trying to spin the latest predictions into something that will make our day look better. The weatherman is like a psychologist for the entire city. No matter the problem, he has an answer.

Here's the latest from the NOAA Hurricane Center:


FOR THE NORTH ATLANTIC...CARIBBEAN SEA AND THE GULF OF MEXICO...A TROPICAL WAVE OVER THE CENTRAL CARIBBEAN SEA IS PRODUCINGCLOUDINESS AND A FEW THUNDERSTORMS NEAR JAMAICA AND HAITI... ANDOVER ADJACENT CARIBBEAN
WATERS. EVEN THOUGH THE THUNDERSTORMACTIVITY HAS GREATLY DECREASED THIS
EVENING... UPPER-LEVEL WINDSARE EXPECTED TO BECOME MORE CONDUCIVE FOR
DEVELOPMENT...
AND THIS SYSTEM COULD BECOME A TROPICAL DEPRESSION DURING THE NEXT DAY ORTWO. AN AIR FORCE RESERVE UNIT RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT IS SCHEDULEDTO INVESTIGATE THIS SYSTEM TOMORROW... IF NECESSARY. INTERESTS INTHE NORTHWESTERN CARIBBEAN SEA AND ADJACENT LAND AREAS SHOULDCLOSELY MONITOR THE PROGRESS OF THIS SYSTEM DURING THE NEXT FEWDAYS AS IT MOVES WEST-NORTHWESTWARD AT 10 TO 15 MPH.

Somewhere along the way, I've become the weather geek that my mother is. She's the one who added this NOAA link to my favorites while staying here as an evacuee. Other people on forums I know took great pleasure in posting the whole paragraphs twice a day to update everybody. Will I sink that low? No way.

Last year Florida got 4 hurricanes and this year so far Louisiana has only been hit by two. I just keep wondering if more are going to hit Louisiana!

No comments: